The second day of my vacation began with a return visit to the doctor's office for x-rays of my foot. Yes, I'm finally having someone look at it. Afterwards I did a bit of wandering and then came back around for lunch at Dough, which is a yuppified pizza and sandwich shop couple of blocks from Maverick Square in Jeffrie's Point. The owners are local with actual culinary degrees. It's very laid back, small, and clean.
I placed my order and rather than paying, he just took off to make up the sandwich. I got to sit and read while I waited. The owner's wife and infant son were there having a late lunch themselves, but he managed to balance customers, take out orders and whipping up something for his family quite easily. It was a quiet afternoon. A local police officer came by to take his lunch there as well. The latest copy of the Boston Herald was sitting on the counter by the windows that I flipped through while I waited.
When my lunch arrived, he still waved off my attempt to pay until after I was done. I order The Farmer's Dip, which is a toasted panini sandwich containing tons of yummy roasted veggies and mozzarella, along with a light herbal dip. Officially: "Fresh spinach, carrot, red onion, cucumber, mushrooms, roasted red pepper and tomato, topped with sliced mozzarella and pressed on fresh roll served with a side rosemary au jus."
It was amazing and rich with flavor. I grabbed a homemade chocolate chip cookie and some Italian soda as well. It was a pleasant lunch with some cool radio on in the background - a laidback rock of some kind, nothing mainstream. It reminded me of Vermont. Or maybe that was the owner's t-shirt-over-long-sleeve-shirt-and-5 o'clock-shadow. Either way, great atmosphere.
I've also learned my lesson about just stopping by for food rather than calling. I've tried to call them four times in the past for delivery, but no one ever picks up the phone. Not for like 20 rings. But he did pick up the phone while I was at the shop, so I know it works. I figure it's probably best to just swing by in the future and bring a book while I wait for them to cook things up.
After my trip to Dough I also swung by La Sultana which is a Columbian bakery right in Maverick Square. The place is awash with yummy fried treats, that I'm suspicious all contain meat. The menu is entirely in Spanish, and I'm a little rusty, so I'd be hazarding a guess on the contents - and Id just eaten, so maybe next time I'll make the effort to ask about the savory treats. I did, however, pick up a delicious flan. I love the texture of flan, its like gelatin, but buttery and milky sweet all at once. That's going on my list of things to make.
With flan in hand, I jumped on one of the buses heading back towards Chelsea only to realize that (a) the bus was late so it was twice as full as usual and (b) school just let out. It was the most squished busride I've ever taken. The kids were all in good humor, decked on in uniforms, so I assume its a local Catholic school rather than the public one up by Eagle Hill. In any case, I got off early because every stop tried to cram on more people like sardines.
It was a lovely day though of visiting local food places I'd had on my list for months. Yum!
Pages
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
March 29th, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment